Saturday, July 22, 2006

Clerks II opens!

I've been an ardent admirer of Kevin Smith and his films now for - I can't believe it - going on a decade (and I wrote the first study of his cinematic canon, An Askew View: The Films of Kevin Smith). Kathryn and I are going out to see Clerks II tomorrow, and then I'll post my review here on Monday or Tuesday.

Anyway, as part of my celebration of the Clerks II premiere, I'll be watching Clerks again on DVD, and I'm also featuring this interview from the great blog, NC FLIX, regarding my book.

Here's a sample:

Now, with Clerks II opening this weekend, we asked John to tell us a bit about doing the book on Smith, whose work we admire--from his films to his hilarious, scatalogical, and candid evenings with Kevin Smith compilations of his lecture appearances at colleges.

Johns says Chasing Amy was "not only hilarious, it seemed very honest in it's observations about Generation X." Following that film, he wrote a book proposal which eventually sold to Applause Theatre and Cinema Books as
An Askew View, the films of Kevin Smith.

"My enthusiasm for Kevin Smith's work only grew as I began interviewing cast and crew members," John says. "Everybody at View Askew productions is simply tremendous to work with. They all love what they're doing. The enthusiasm floored me, and down to the last one, they're all whip-smart and talented. I couldn't ask for a better writing experience."

John's book on Smith is his biggest seller and he's still collecting royalties four years after publication. Clerks II may spawn a whole new set of Smith fans looking to find out more about him, the way I did when I first encountered John's book after an Encore showing of "An Evening With Kevin Smith."

"Kevin's fans are die-hard for a reason," says John.

Check out the rest of the piece here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter The House Between picks up Hermes Creative Award (Platinum!) for 2024

Enter The House Between, our audio drama that finished airing its first season in October of 2023, picked up its second award yesterday!  T...