Monday, May 11, 2009

Dammit, Jim!

So, I've been inundated with e-mails this weekend asking about my opinion of the new Star Trek.

Some readers have interpreted my silence as dislike for the effort, and a "let's not do the movie any harm" attitude.

In truth, the answer is much simpler than that!

We had no babysitter available this weekend, and well, Star Trek isn't exactly age-appropriate for my two-and-a-half year old!

My sweet wife, Kathryn, told me I should feel free to go see the movie by myself if I needed to, but if Star Trek has taught me anything, it's loyalty. I wasn't about to go see Star Trek without Kathryn, especially on Mother's Day Weekend. In this case, the needs of the family outweighed the needs of the Trekkie.

So, yes, I am now officially the last person in the United States to see Star Trek.

I'll be going to see the movie this coming Friday, and then publishing my review here on Saturday. I guess patience is a virtue. I just hope, in this case, that "having" turns out to be as great a thing as "wanting."

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:29 AM

    For what it's worth, you're at least the third last person. My wife and I haven't managed to get out to see it yet either, for -exactly- the same reason. :)

    We're shooting for sometime next week perhaps, around her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Woodchuckgod,

    Ah, nice to know I'm in good company then. We are going to Star Trek on Friday, which is our 14th wedding anniversary! (And my parents are babysitting Joel for the afternoon...)

    And happy birthday to your wife.

    best,
    JKM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, not the last. We won't go until the "new" has worn off and the movie theatre accepts passes. We have two movie passes we want to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, _I_ saw it. :)

    And I look forward to reading your reaction. There's a lot to react to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm proud of you, man, for putting your family first. Having said that, I hope you and your wife a get a chance to see the new Star Trek movie! :) Hope you find a babysitter!

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal: "Apologia"

Apologia By Ken Muir   I am a person of my age, of my time in history.    Born into an America that was on the verge of winning the greatest...