Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Collectible of the Week: Star Wars Return of the Jedi CAP-2 Captivator (Kenner; 1983)




This is the Return of the Jedi (1983) edition of the CAP-2 Captivator by Kenner, a Star Wars "mini-rig" that was not featured in the Original Trilogy. 

You'd think that with all the amazing ship and vehicle designs featured in the Lucasfilm movies, Kenner would not have had to resort to coming up with new toy designs, but here was CAP-2, along with INT-4 (which looked like a mini AT-ST...), the MTV-7 (I want my MTV...), the MLC-3, and PDT-8. 

All these mini-rigs accommodated the small Kenner action figures so that you "could create your own Star Wars Adventures."

I always felt that CAP-2 Captivator was actually the coolest (and perhaps most outlandish...) of the Star Wars mini-rigs collection.  It features "suction cup feet" so you can "hide CAP-2 in secret places." 

I don't remember that as a design feature on other vehicles of the Evil Galactic Empire, but it's fun to make this thing climb walls, anyway. 

Also, the CAP-2 features rear-mounted, silver-painted teeth that can grip action figures.  This way, you can "capture Rebel prisoners and take them to Darth Vader."  Additionally, the cockpit opens and holds one action figure. 

On all the art for this edition of the CAP-2, bounty hunter Bossk is driving the CAP-2.  He's one mean customer, so watch out if the CAP-2 is headed in your direction...it means business!


4 comments:

  1. Brad Baranet8:58 PM

    I HATED the mini-rigs as a kid but now recognize them for the genius that they are! True that they are still not "authentic" vehicles from the films, but Kenner's designers packed them with unique features like the aforementioned suction cups. Kenner was indeed the last GREAT toy company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brad,

    Ditto! I just couldn't stand these things when I was playing with them as a kid. Too goofy; and not "faithful" to the SW universe. Now, I love them, and wish I had 'em all. My son Joel just told me he wants them all too, and to find them on E-Bay...

    best,
    JKM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know I wasn't the only person who didn't care about the mini-rigs as a kid...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Will,

    You are not alone. I wondered why they would bother with these not-canon vehicles, frankly. But these days, I think they're pretty cool for sure...

    best,
    JKM

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...