Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Ask JKM a Question #6: Black Swan (2010)?

A regular reader named Todd asks me:

"Have you seen the movie Black Swan?  If so, I would love to hear your thoughts on it.  I thought it was a great psychological thriller with deep meaning and symbolism.  I love reading your insight into various films.  You pick up on stuff that  I would never think of.  It amazes me every time.  Thanks for writing this great blog."

Thank you for your affirmative remarks about the blog, Todd, and about my writing.  I have indeed seen Black Swan (2010), and I too find it a deeply disturbing yet weirdly beautiful work of art.  That established, I also consider it a (brilliant) horror film.

Accordingly, I'll be reviewing Black Swan one week from today, on Tuesday, July 10th.  So tune in that morning for my analysis and interpretation of this Darren Aronofsky film.  Thanks for writing!

Don't forget readers, ask me a question at Muirbusiness@yahoo.com.  


2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to your review. I really want to pair this film with The Red Shoes as twin films about the demands of art (obviously ballet for both). Plus, both have at their cores (perhaps twisted) versions of fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugh,

      I think that would make a great article, a comparison/contrast btwn Black Swan and The Red Shoes. I like your analysis about the demands of art (that's definitely the way my review of Black Swan is headed at this point...) and the idea of twisted fairy tales, also critical to understanding the film.

      Great comment, Hugh. If it's all right, I may steal your Red Shoes/Black Swan idea... :)

      best,
      John

      Delete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...