Monday, August 13, 2012

Television and Cinema Verities #32



“I'm not an aficionado. There were little hiccups here and there when some people were offended I didn't quite understand the back story. It's incredibly important to them, so some of them would think directing this one, you surely should know it all. But god almighty, I wasn't going to look at 178 episodes. Ultimately, it wasn't a problem. My intention was since I was a virgin to it all, I wanted to make a movie that stands alone and doesn't rest on all the past history.

- Star Trek: Nemesis (2002) director Stuart Baird, quoted in an interview from 2003 with David Michael at the BBC.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:08 AM

    Director Stuart Baird did not understand Star Trek[characters] as director Stephen Hopkins did not understand Lost In Space[characters] resulting in his misfire 1998 film too. This posted quote by Stuart Baird explains it.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree SGB. There's a kind of arrogance here. I understand not being able to commit to a hundred and seventy eight hours up front, but how about watching thirty or forty really important shows? At the very least, he should have been open to input that suggested, you know, that others knew more than him on the subject of the characters...

      Great comment!

      best,
      John

      Delete

Enter The House Between picks up Hermes Creative Award (Platinum!) for 2024

Enter The House Between, our audio drama that finished airing its first season in October of 2023, picked up its second award yesterday!  T...