Friday, May 31, 2013

Reader Top Ten Science Fiction Films: SGB


The great SGB, a frequent comment-writer and regular reader here on the blog this morning offers the first "top" science fiction film list of the day.

Here's SGB:


"I had to jump into this fun.
 
All of these science-fiction films I experienced in theaters beginning as a boy in the '70s, including re-releases in theaters. It is based on both the emotional impact and the milestone of the film at the time of it's original release.  Sorry, I have a top fifteen list.  I just can not 'tie' as they are numbered by importance to me beginning with most important number one.
 
1. Star Trek:The Motion Picture(1979)
2. Planet Of The Apes(1968)
3. Empire Strikes Back(1980)
4. Star Trek II:The Wrath Of Khan(1982)
5. Star Wars(1977)
6. Beneath The Planet Of The Apes(1970)
7. Walt Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea(1954)
8. Escape From The Planet Of The Apes(1971)
9. Alien (1979)
10. Andromeda Strain(1971)


11. The Time Machine (1960)
12. Logan's Run(1976)
13. 2001:A Space Odyssey(1968)
14. Westworld(1973)
15. Silent Running(1972)
 
There is nothing like sitting in the theater with others and experiencing a film."


SGB: I love your final sentiment there, and I agree with it wholeheartedly.  Going to the movies is a magical experience, to be sure. 

I also love your selections.  I grew up with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and still love that film with a passion.  I also appreciate that you express some love for a few of the Planet of the Apes sequels.  I've always thought that the Apes saga had quite a few outstanding installments.  

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:17 AM

    John, than you for posting my list and for the thoughtful comments regarding it.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert2:54 PM

    What's great about STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE is that it's filled with moments of genuine wonder. I hope the next Star Trek film is more like the first.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...