Monday, December 29, 2014

At Flashbak: Great Sci-fi Magazine TV Commercials of the 1970s and 1980s


My latest article at Flashbak remembers TV commercials...for genre magazines. I remember seeing many such commercials when I was a kid growing up in the New York/New Jersey area.


"So…anyone remember magazines?

That’s just a joke, of course. Printed magazines are still around in the year 2014, but since the arrival of the Internet many of the great one, long-lived ones (especially in the genre), like Cinescape and Starlog have completely disappeared from newsstands.

It wasn’t always this way. In the 1970s and 1980s, the genre witnessed a great magazine boom, so much so that magazine budgets were often flush enough to afford TV advertising.

Here are some TV commercials for genre magazines from that era..."

2 comments:

  1. Hi John,

    The 1978 ad with Robby The Robot is the one I saw when I was a boy and began my subscription with STARLOG#13. I was surprised that my parents purchased the back issues of number 1 to 12 too for my birthday that year. I was extremely happy.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that the entire run of Starlog is not online at archive.org?

    ReplyDelete

Enter The House Between picks up Hermes Creative Award (Platinum!) for 2024

Enter The House Between, our audio drama that finished airing its first season in October of 2023, picked up its second award yesterday!  T...