Sunday, September 27, 2015

At Flashbak: Sci-Fi TV: 1979 - The Forgotten Cult-TV Series That Ended the Disco Decade


This week at Flashbak, I initiated a new blog series that I will be writing there.  

In particular, I'll be looking back obscure series from the a specific year or season. For the inaugural post, I remember three projects from 1979.  In particular, I look at series including Supertrain, Cliffhangers, and Salvage 1.  My upcoming entry will look back at forgotten sci-fi TV shows from 1982, and after that, I'll turn my attention to 1977, and so forth.



"Just a few years after Star Wars (1977) bowed to international acclaim, the major American TV networks were still figuring out how to capitalize on the nation’s thirst for genre entertainment. 

Glen Larson’s very expensive Battlestar Galactica came along in 1978 but was already canceled by the 1979-1980 season.

Mork and Mindy (1978-1981), however, survived. Although it had many genre elements, the sitcom owed its success, perhaps, to series stars Robin Williams and Pam Dawber. Project UFO (1978-1980) also endured, owing perhaps to its “just the facts” type approach to flying saucer reports.

The year 1979 brought such memorable new genre programming as Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (1979-1981), but other expensive programs did not catch on, and promptly fell out of the public consciousness.


Here are three major prime time genre series from 1979 that fizzled out after great fanfare, and before the dawn of 1980..."



1 comment:

  1. I loved Cliffhangers.... as a child of the 70s, I was lucky enough to be part of the great nostalgia boom. So while I was absorbing lots of new stuff, I was also able to read pulp reprints, listen to old time radio shows, watch old movies and serials and cartoons on nearly every channel, and listen to much of the great music of the 30s and 40s.

    Such cultural (and temporal) pluralism would be unthinkable to young people today, but it was just as easy to be a Bela Lugosi fan in the 70s as it was to be a Star Wars buff.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...