Sunday, November 08, 2015

At Flashbak: Prehistoric Saturday Mornings - 1974


This week at Flashbak, I remembered the glory days of 1974, when the major American networks each aired a "prehistoric" program on Saturday mornings.  These shows were all aimed at kids, and I was four going on five years old.



"The Year was 1974 B.C. (Before Cable). The time and day: Saturday mornings.

Kids of the 1970s had a real treat in store for them as they dug into their bowls of Life Cereal and started the day, because all three major American TV networks -- ABC, CBS, and NBC -- jumped on the same bandwagon at the same time: prehistoric entertainment.

This span, the fall of 1974, brought children three great TV series from the dawn of man: Korg 70,000 BC (1974-1975), Land of the Lost (1974 – 1977) and Valley of the Dinosaurs (1974-1975).

Although only one of these series -- Land of the Lost -- achieved pop culture immortality, children of the 1970s probably still remember the other two, in no small part because so much merchandise was produced for them.


Here’s a look back at the prehistoric entertainment of 1974..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...